At Heart & Soul of NM, patient safety and well-being are our top priorities. Our approach to controlled substances, specifically stimulants and benzodiazepines, reflects this commitment. We do not take prescription transfers of controlled substances by another provider and we do not prescribe controlled substances on the first appointment.
Our Approach to Controlled Substances:
Heart & Soul's providers exercise extreme caution and discretion regarding stimulants and benzodiazepines. We recognize that while these substances might benefit some individuals, they pose serious risks and can be harmful and addictive. Such substances can have detrimental effects on the body and brain. With this in mind, our policies and procedures are stringent, ensuring that any prescription aligns with medical necessity. We are confident in our ability to find non-narcotic alternatives for most patients, reducing the risks associated with controlled substances. All patients are required to sign a Controlled Substance Agreement, reinforcing our shared commitment to responsible medication management.
• If you are currently on a benzodiazepine regimen and join Heart & Soul of NM, our first step is assisting you with a medically sound taper aligning with best practices. Exceptions are rare.
• Benzodiazepines aren't meant for prolonged use. Any prescriptions will include a detailed taper plan. Once again, exceptions are infrequent.
Insights on Stimulants:
• If you seek Heart & Soul of NM for stimulant management, we will conduct a thorough evaluation. Our decision to continue or discontinue the stimulant will be communicated transparently, along with the rationale. Should we decide against ongoing use, we are committed to assisting you in identifying an alternative.
• Monitoring is vital for patients on stimulants due to potential cardiac implications. Please ensure that ECG/EKGs and relevant labs are up-to-date. If you have these tests conducted in the past six months, kindly share them with us. Coordinating with your primary care physician can expedite this process.
• Please note there is a nationwide shortage of stimulants. If we prescribe these for you, be aware that consistent availability can be challenging. We recommend scouting pharmacies to ascertain stock BEFORE your appointment. If a prescription is sent to a pharmacy without supply, we amend pharmacy details for stimulants only once a week. If this process seems overwhelming, discuss non-stimulant alternatives with your prescriber. We genuinely apologize for this inconvenience. It's a larger, nationwide issue, and we've implemented systems to simplify this process for everyone involved.
Your health is paramount to us, and we're here to guide you with care, transparency, and expertise. Together, we'll navigate the path to optimal well-being.
400 Gold Ave SW, Ste 301,
Albuquerque, NM 87102
1300 East River Rd,
Belen, NM 87002
1991 Calle de Santiago, #B,
Mesilla, NM 88046
2024© Heart and Soul of NM, Inc.